September 10, 2008

What's your favorite Eastman memory?

A couple of weeks ago, as I was sitting in the upper deck at Yankee Stadium, I spent more time reminiscing about all of the times I had gone there... all of those memories... than actually watching the game. I knew it would be my last visit to the 'old' Yankee Stadium. While I was a bit emotional about it... I just had to turn to my left, where the new stadium sits, and get excited about what's to come.

My thoughts then turned to the Eastman Theatre. This is the RPO's last season in the 'old' Eastman. Next year, we're going to have a remarkable new Eastman Theatre.

There are so many memories woven within the Eastman.

When I think of my favorites I consider two moments in time. Of course, I remember my high school graduation... my mother arrived with a camera, a videocamera... and no film for either instrument. So, there are no pictures!

My favorite RPO/Eastman memory actually comes from this past season. When Yo-Yo Ma came out for an encore performance of the Appalachia Waltz after he performed with the RPO. It was as if the world around me disappeared. Any worries I had about anything went away. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. It was such a happy experience, it's actually hard to even describe it.

We know you have those memories too. You can send them in to us at jhanson@rpo.org.

We're going to create a page on our RPO web site dedicated to your photos and your memories. We're also going to have some displays in the Eastman lobby where, at performances, you can post pictures and write down your thoughts.

Let's pay tribute to our past, with much excitement for the future...


P.S. - if you want to keep up-to-date on the renovation news, click here to check in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nancy, Dr. T, The music man, Wes, and Stephanie,

Love the new blog!

Thank you for allowing WXXI to share the amazing Yo-Yo Ma concert with Rochester radio listeners tonight (Monday, September 15th) at 8:00 p.m. on Classical 91.5 FM

Brenda Tremblay
brendatremblay.com