July 9, 2015

Young musicians take the stage this weekend: Part 2

Yesterday we introduced you to three high-school musicians who will perform in the Rochester Philharmonic League's annual Young Artists Recital, featuring the region's top musicians in the categories of male and female vocal, strings, piano, and instrumental. The Rochester Philharmonic League is the RPO's leading support organization focused on music education and fostering musical talent in young people.

Join the RPL at a free recital celebrating these young musicians at 7:30 PM on Sunday, July 12 at Kilbourn Hall in the Eastman School of Music (please note that this performance does not include the RPO). In the second part of this blog series, we will introduce you to the other musicians who will perform this weekend: David Steinhardt, classical guitar; Holden Turner, baritone; and Vivian Yu, piano. Don't miss seeing them onstage this weekend!

David Steinhardt, classical guitar
2015 YAA award: Aldridge-Tinker Scholarship for Instrumentalists
Will perform: Koyunbaba, C. Domeniconi; Asturias, I. Albeniz; Sonata for cello and guitar, R. Gnattali
David Steinhardt


As a scholarship student of Dr. Petar Kodzas at the Eastman Community Music School, David Steinhardt is studying toward honors diplomas in guitar performance and music theory. In 2013 and 2014, Steinhardt received the Eastman Community Director’s Choice Award, selected from all instruments. From age 11, he has participated in numerous competitions and festivals in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. He currently holds faculty positions at the Kanack School of Music and Lyric Arts Academy, as well as teaches privately and through master classes. He recently graduated from Pittsford-Mendon High School.


Holden Turner, baritone
2015 YAA awards: Jan DeGaetani Scholarship for Vocalists and Nobel Hirsh Award for Male Vocalists
Will perform: Per La Gloria D’adorarvi, Giovanni Bononcini; Youth and Love, Ralph Vaughan Williams; El Cancion Andaluza: El Pan de Ronda, Manuel De Falla; Les Berceaux, Gabriel Faure
Holden Turner

Holden Turner recently graduated from Rush-Henrietta High School, and will be attending Ithaca College in the fall to major in music education and vocal performance. He has been studying voice with Mario Marinez since November 2014.

Q: How old were you when you started singing, and who (or what) inspired you to start?
A: I started singing at an early age but I didn't join a choir until the 4th grade. No one really inspired me to be involved in music. When I did finally join a choir, the teachers would really push me to do more so that is what really inspired me to continue on in music as a career.

Q: How did you select your repertoire for this concert?
A: The repertoire I have chosen are songs that I've learned throughout my high school career, and they all have great messages that I feel are very special.

Q: What are your favorite activities outside the practice room?
A: My activities outside of the practice room consists of more musical activity. I play percussion, and I love conducting. I had the opportunity to conduct my school orchestra at Disney World and my school choir in Boston. 

Vivian Yu, piano
YAA awards: Ness Award for Pianists and Special Award
Schedule repertoire: Preludes Op. 23, No. 4 and No. 7, Sergei Rachmaninoff
Vivian Yu

Pianist Vivian Yu will be going into her senior year at Pittsford Mendon High School this fall. As recipient of the YAA Special Award, Yu will also perform with the RPO at Temple B'rith Kodesh on July 9.

Q: How old were you when you started performing, and who (or what) inspired you to start?
A: When I was little, I had an electric keyboard and I was always intrigued by it and would play around with it every day. I began to compose music on it at age five, so my mom took me to piano lessons with Elier Suárez, who has been my piano teacher up to today. I have been growing up with music ever since and it really has changed my life. From the Junior All-Star Competitions to being able to perform with the RPO, I have learned to appreciate music and express myself through music, connect with people through music, and gain confidence in myself while discovering my own potential.

Q: What is your process for selecting repertoire?
A: I sometimes offer suggestions for my repertoire. My piano teacher always selects the very best pieces that I love and are the most suitable for me.

Q: What are your favorite activities to do outside of the practice room?
A: What I love the most is to spend time with my family and friends. There is nothing better than creating funny and lasting memories with people close to you. I also like to draw, write, and improvise music on the piano for fun. When I have time, I like to watch movies, travel, and try many different kinds of food as well.

No comments: