July 20, 2015

Bravo to retiring musicians: Jan Angus and Jennifer Burch

This feature on retiring RPO musicians is currently running in the summer Bravo program. To see this feature in print, pick up a copy of Bravo at the RPO in Perinton concert on Saturday, July 25 or at the Nazareth College concert on Sunday, July 26. Both concerts are free to attend, but tickets are required for Nazareth (call 585-454-2100).

For Jan Angus and Jennifer Burch, who are retiring from the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra at the end of the 2014-15 season, retirement doesn’t mean saying goodbye to the music.

“I’m not really retiring, I’m too busy,” said Jan Angus, who came to the RPO as third flute and piccolo in 1979. “I’m looking forward to having more time to focus on teaching. When I stop playing in the orchestra, I’ve thought about writing a book about my flute teaching methods.”

Angus, a master’s graduate of the Eastman School of Music, has been balancing full time work at the Eastman Community Music School with playing in the orchestra. She is a senior instructor in flute at Eastman and also coordinator of the Eastman Pathways Program, a scholarship program for students in the Rochester City School District.

She is collaborating with RPO second flute Joanna Bassett to bring flutists from all over the world to Washington, D.C., this August for the National Flute Association Convention. She also has taught at Hochstein School of Music and Dance and served on the faculties of Nazareth College, SUNY Geneseo, and SUNY Brockport.

“I’ve never been one to promote myself,” said Angus, who has played flute since she was a child in California. “With time and experience comes maturity, and I have learned from my years in the orchestra that it’s not about you, it’s about the product.”

In addition to teaching and playing recitals, Angus is looking forward to having more time to travel with her husband, RPO third horn David Angus, and also spending time with their two grown children and grandson.

Second horn player Jennifer Burch came to the RPO in 1992, direct from a seven-year appointment with the Richmond Symphony, where she played both third and principal positions.

“I felt from the beginning that Rochester was my home,” said Burch, who grew up in Bath, New York, and graduated from the University of Michigan. “There is a tremendous amount of culture here.”

Burch plans to continue teaching at the Eastman School of Music, where she is an assistant professor of horn. This summer, she will return to teach and perform at the MasterWorks Festival in Indiana. She also has taught at Nazareth College, Roberts Wesleyan College, and Hochstein.

“I have really valued my years here at the RPO and nothing will fill that void,” said Burch, who spoke fondly of the camaraderie in her section. “I’ve had a wonderful career and I want to pass that on to others. I love seeing my students thrive.”

In addition to teaching, Burch plans to get involved in volunteer and ministry work. She also is looking forward to spending more time with her husband, Bob Marshall, her three step-children and three grandchildren.

Congratulations to Jan and Jennifer on your years with the RPO! Send your well-wishes to Jan Angus and Jennifer Burch on Facebook or Twitter (@RochesterPhil) with #bravoJan or #bravoJennifer.

No comments: