May 15, 2015

Seuss at the RPO this Sunday!

"Do you like green eggs and ham? I do not like them, Sam-I-am."
- Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham (1960)
Born Theodor Seuss Geisel in 1904, Dr. Seuss was a celebrated writer and cartoonist whose children’s books remain a staple on bookshelves today. On Sunday at Hochstein Performance Hall, the RPO will close the 2014-15 OrKIDStra Family Concert Series with “Two by Seuss!” an ode to two of the author’s most beloved tales: Green Eggs and Ham and Gertrude McFuzz. The afternoon will include free pre-concert Seuss-themed crafts and activities and talented guest actors from Really Inventive Stuff, a traveling performance group who specializes in performing with symphony orchestras. In celebration of Seuss at the RPO, we asked members of our staff to share their favorite Dr. Seuss book and why.

What’s your favorite Dr. Seuss book? Sound off in the comments below!


Concert details: Two By Seuss!
Sunday, May 17 at Hochstein Performance Hall, 2 PM
$15 adults, $10 kids
Purchase tickets at rpo.org, call 454-2100, or visit any Rochester-area Wegmans


"The Lorax! I grew up in an area with great natural beauty, so the story of the abuse of nature struck a chord with me. It reminded me to not take my surroundings for granted."

- Kara Aymerich, Office Administrator
"I’ve always liked Bartholomew and the Oobleck. It’s a really fun, beautifully-illustrated story, and I have great memories of reading it with my mom when I was little. Close runners-up: The Cat in the Hat and Horton Hears a Who." 
- Katy Judd, Marketing Manager




"My favorite Dr. Seuss book is Oh, the Places You’ll Go! I have always loved this book because it inspires you to pursue your dreams, but also is realistic about the fact there will be bumps along the road. One of my favorite quotes as silly as it may be is, “You have brains in your head, You have feet in your shoes, You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.” In such simple language, Dr. Seuss encourages us all to realize our own potential and to embrace the power we have over our lives."

- Jason Polasek, Major Gifts Officer

"The Sneetches and Other Stories.While this book has several Dr. Seuss tales, my favorite was the the story of The Sneetches, who learned to treat one another fairly and embrace everyone as equal members of the same community. It taught me an invaluable lesson at an early age!

- Michelle Shippers, Communications Manager

No comments: