June 9, 2015

Meet the (cover) artist: Emily Newell

These last few weeks at the RPO have been busy as we wrapped up the 2014-15 season. Multiplatinum recording artist Michael Feinstein closed our Pops season with a tribute to the music of George and Ira Gershwin, and the Rochester Oratorio Society and Bach Children’s Chorus paid homage to Carl Orff’s hauntingly beautiful Carmina Burana. All this excitement and alas, dear readers, we neglected to post another in our monthly series of “meet the (cover) artist” for our May/June program. Here you go!

Emily Newell, 17 of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, designed the final cover in our main 2014-15 season. Newell is a winner of the RPO Bravo Award, granted to eight artists whose work was displayed at the Rochester Contemporary Art Center 6X6X2014 Exhibition. Congratulations to Emily!

Do you have other experience as an artist?
My true art form is dance. I have been a dancer since I was three years old. I dance at Lititz Academy of Dance, with concentration in classical ballet, lyrical, jazz, modern, and contemporary ballet. I am also on my High School’s Dance Team at Manheim Township.

Emily's "Wishes" on the RPO program!


How did you hear about the RoCo 6X6 exhibit?

I heard about participating in the 6x6 exhibit from my grandmother, Lucille Newell. On visits to Rochester, N.Y., my grandmother always likes to find fun, interesting things for us to do. Several members of our family participated in the 6x6 exhibit.

How did you develop the concept for your art?
It was a long winter and I was looking forward to a beautiful summer and that image came to mind.

What medium did you use in your artwork?
I used acrylics and a sponge.

What inspires your creativity?
Listening to music! I love Ed Sheeran, Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, One Direction, and Adele.

What theme(s) are you trying to convey through your 6X6 piece? A beautiful summer day.

What is your favorite style(s) of music? I enjoy listening to all music. Pop, Broadway, acoustic etc.

Stay tuned to the RPO blog in July for the story behind the art/artist for our summer season cover!


Emily Newell

No comments: