September 9, 2014

Meet the artist: Lisa Vroman

On Friday and Saturday night, Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre will light up like the Great White Way with two stars of Broadway at the helm. Under the direction of Principal Pops Conductor Jeff Tyzik, the RPO’s first Pops concert of the season features Broadway classics by noted composers such as Cole Porter, Marvin Hamlisch, and Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.

This week on the blog, we plan to introduce you to our guest vocalists, starting with soprano Lisa Vroman, who last performed with the RPO for an evening of Bernstein and Sondheim in April 2013. Vroman starred on Broadway, Los Angeles, and San Francisco as ingénue Christine Daaé in The Phantom of the Opera, performed as Mary Poppins opposite Dick Van Dyke for Disney’s 75th anniversary, and was the first to perform both Cosette and Fantine in Les Misérables on Broadway, among many other performance credits and accolades. Though she lives in Pasadena, California, with her husband, Patrick, and dog, Romeo, she is originally from upstate New York.

Stay tuned for our profile on Doug LaBrecque this Thursday!

Q and A with Lisa Vroman:

Favorite Broadway show:
I have many favorites for many different reasons, but I think West Side Story is one of the world's greatest shows!


Lisa Vroman
Credit: Michael Blank
If I had to perform one role for the rest of my life, it would be:
I have had many favorite roles, such as Rosabella in The Most Happy Fella (with the NYC Opera) and recently played Maria Callas in Terence McNally’s play, “Master Class.”

I played Christine Daaé in The Phantom of the Opera somewhere around 2,750 times! I am so happy to be doing more concert work now, where I can sing different songs from many shows in any given performance. A performer really needs to keep the creative flow/energy fresh not only for themselves, but for the audience, too.

Proudest moment of my career:
There are many, but anytime my family members are able to see me sing, it’s a great night! My mom grew up in Fairport, so I am looking forward to seeing friends and family at the performances this weekend!

Your favorite song from this weekend’s program:
All of them! Who can choose?

What’s your pre-performance ritual?
Not so much a ritual, as just getting ready for work. To sing and perform, you have to be rested, fed/hydrated, healthy, then deal with the performance day details, steaming/ironing gowns, makeup, and then time for a good vocal/physical warm up. I have a busy schedule, but I have to make sure my concert gowns are maintained and ready to go. You become very good at packing the perfect suitcase!

My favorite person to collaborate with is:
I have worked with many different singers and conductors who are all fantastic, including Jeff Tyzik and Doug LaBrecque, who are two of the very best!

When I’m not onstage, you can find me:
Learning music and packing for the next trip. I love being at home with my husband, Patrick, and our dog, Romeo, every chance I can!

Advice to young people interested in a performance career:
Keep training! Learn to read music, and study vocally. Too many students do not properly train their voice in a classically based technique. The more you know about your voice, the longer it will serve you, no matter what style you sing.

For more information or to purchase tickets to Broadway’s Golden Age and Beyond, visit rpo.org.

No comments: