August 11, 2009

What’s Your Favorite Summer Food?

Well, it’s finally starting to feel like summer, with warmer weather and time to sit out on the porch before the sun goes down. With the summer concert series over – and the new season still weeks away – many of the RPO staff and musicians are taking some well-deserved vacation time.

But before they set out for summer music festivals, hiking paths, or family vacations, I asked them about their favorite summer food. And not surprisingly, had a range of responses (see below). For myself, I always look forward to a dinner of corn on the cob with hot dogs, coleslaw, chips, and either watermelon or ice cream for dessert.

If you have your own favorites – or a suggestion of a new recipe to try – let me know…
  • Whatever is locally grown and in season! Asparagus, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc: we live in a great place for "terroir" eating!
    – Peter Kurau, French Horn

  • One of my favorite summer recipes is Fresh Corn Salad from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. It is a delicious way to enjoy the summer treat of sweet corn - cooked slightly, mixed with cider vinegar, olive oil, fresh basil, red onion, salt, and pepper. In fact, I'm making a big batch of it for a party this weekend! It's always a big hit.
    – Stephanie Blaha, French Horn

  • My favorite summer foods include white peaches, juicy cherries, gazpacho, and ice cream.
    – Libba Seka, Viola

  • My favorite summer food is a cheeseburger, the same as my favorite winter food.
    – Ken Langley, Violin

No comments: